Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dimensions for a Philco

Quote:hanks Ron, now that we know it will fit. Well, he says it works, and totally original. Finish from the few pics he posted look good. Need to see some more pics, he missed the top and the speaker. From the front it looks great. Chassis looks good, no rust other than the tube covers but every thing looks original. Wants $250. Is this in the ball park? Bearing in mind, I'm getting older and this may be my last restoration for at least me. How many consoles can you have in your house? I only listen to my radios off my home transmitter, well, we do have a couple of "local" AM stations but other than that, my Scott with a longer antenna for any other AM. I don't need anything with DX capabilities. What do you guys think?

I would say $250 is an out in left field price if it still needs an electrical restoration, even if the cabinet is in nice shape. He says it works is meaningless unless he can demonstrate the thing playing, some people's definition of working is a hum coming out of the speaker, or that it was working ten years ago, the old radio equivailent of "Running when parked".
I've gone to look at radios on craiglist that looked minty in pictures but when you look at them in person you find out someone rubbed them down with "Cowards", or some similar product. In one case they took selective shots in a flattering light, just conveniently leaving out the black stain on the top which managed to get at least $50 or so knocked of the price.
The most that I would consider paying for an early 30s console is maybe $125, if it's all complete, the cabinet is in nice shape without needing a refinish, electrically unrestored but either playing or trying to play. I don't know how badly you want this radio but I'm sure that you could find one requiring absolutely nothing for $200 or less, early 30s consoles are just not a high demand radio.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
Dimensions for a Philco - by jerryhawthorne - 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM
RE: Dimensions for a Philco - by Ron Ramirez - 06-19-2012, 04:22 AM
RE: Dimensions for a Philco - by jerryhawthorne - 06-19-2012, 06:25 PM
RE: Dimensions for a Philco - by Ron Ramirez - 06-19-2012, 06:53 PM
RE: Dimensions for a Philco - by jerryhawthorne - 06-21-2012, 11:44 PM
RE: Dimensions for a Philco - by Arran - 06-22-2012, 01:10 AM
RE: Dimensions for a Philco - by jerryhawthorne - 06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
RE: Dimensions for a Philco - by Arran - 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM
RE: Dimensions for a Philco - by jerryhawthorne - 06-22-2012, 05:52 PM