Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

advice needed: restoring 47-1230 - FM & AM now works!!!! :D (uncertain about SW)

Haven't worked on my console radio in a while, but just got the last of my spare tubes (to eliminate possible bad tubes from the diagnostics) - I was purchasing tubes for another radio and decided to get the last missing spares.
I somewhat tought one of the FM tubes wasn't good. So I tried with new tubes on the FM circuit. (2 tubes)

IT WORKS!!!

changed back to confirm which is the bad tube... it works as well with the old ones!!! ???!!?!
I haven't changed anything in the circuitery.

I guess one of the tube was badly socketed.

Well, besides from having lost 1 year of FM listening, I can't declare this as anything else than good news!

the FM circuit sounds AWESOME!
I didn't even get to recap that section yet, but the sound is amazing. I seem to be able to pick up more stations than with any other radios I have in here, even if it is an early "new-FM" set. Ok, it'll need alignment, but it does sound crystal clear. Better than the radio's AM.

Guess I'll start to listend to hockey on it again! (the AM station that used to play sports was merged with its FM counterpart, and AM is now mainly traffic report)

Can't wait for next year's hockey season!!

on another note, with summer in, I am looking about refinishing the cabinet.

-Mars

Messages In This Thread
RE: advice needed: restoring 47-1230 - got AM back!!!! - by Marsupial - 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM