Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Now I've done it...One Bucket List set FOUND!

Thanks to all for the kind words! Icon_biggrin Now I shall answer the questions, in order:

Eliot (John): The Masterpiece VI has 21 tubes. McMurdo Silver used all-metal tubes in his Masterpiece V tuner chassis, but I read somewhere, or was told by someone, that he started switching back to glass tubes in late production MP V models. The MP VI uses glass tubes in the tuner, all of which (save for the tuning eye) have chrome shields and covers.

My tuner chassis has 13 of 17 glass "ST" or taper-top tubes; three are metal inside the chrome shields/covers, one is a GT glass tube. The amp has ST type rectifiers but modern 6L6GB output tubes, and one has gone to air as you can see in the interior cabinet photos; notice the white spot on one of the 6L6GB tubes.

Glenn: good to see you too Friday afternoon. Hope you enjoy all of your new Philco toys!

Tom, Exray, Uffda (Phil), Morzh, Steve: Thank you all!

Bruce: Thanks very much! I will send you an E-mail on this subject.

Mars: Yes, the original owner received the privilege of having their name engraved on the manufacturer's tag on the back of the tuner chassis.

As with many high-end radios, its audio amplifier and power supply is separate from the rest of the radio. Philco 37-690 and 38-690 chassis are constructed in this fashion, only they do not have any chrome plating.

The good, the bad, and the ugly on this set

Good: The tuner chassis appears to be in very good condition. It has all of its original knobs, original chrome cover in decent - not perfect, but decent - shape, all but one chrome tube shield/cover, the rare and desirable Clifton cabinet, and the correct audio amp/power supply.

Bad: One chrome tube shield/cover is missing. The original back for the Clifton cabinet is missing. The grille cloth is pretty rough and will require replacement. Fortunately, it appears to be rather generic, so I am hoping that will not be an issue.

Ugly: There is rust on the amp/power supply. I'll have to learn the proper course of action to take about this, as I want it to look good.

I have not yet opened up the tuner to look underneath. I am hoping it has most if not all of its original paper capacitors. On this one, I will take the extra step to restuff the paper caps if they are still there. This set is worth the extra effort.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Now I've done it...One Bucket List set FOUND! - by Ron Ramirez - 07-22-2012, 08:18 PM