Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 12s568 a work in progress

Really great work on that cabinet. It brings back memories of the first old radio that I bought home when I was a kid back in the Bronx in the '60s. I used to go on my bike scavenging for parts where they dumped household rubbish. I got virtually all the parts I needed for my projects that way.

One time I found this Zenith 12s568 (didn't know the model numbers back then) which was in a house fire and burned on one side of the cabinet. I took all the guts including the wavemagnet antenna initially for parts but when I got it home it was in such good shape I got it working and used it as both a radio and an amplifier for my "hi-fi". The chassis intrigued me as it used two triodes, 6AC5G's with a special driver tube, 6AE7, which I had never seen before.

I used that radio for quite a few years and then stored it in my parents basement. It made its way to my basement over the years and four years ago I decided to restore it. The chassis is now sitting on top of a home made speaker enclosure in the midst my Philcos in my radio display room which shows off the chassis and the warm glow from its 12 tubes. Perhaps one day I'll find another 12s568 complete radio like yours.

I will be interested in following your progress and if you need any help please contact me.

Steve D

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by morzh - 07-29-2012, 04:48 AM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by Arran - 07-29-2012, 08:19 PM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by Arran - 07-30-2012, 12:05 AM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by Steve D - 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM