Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

started (at last) to refinish my 47-1230

I ran out of circa1850, and every stores in the area are closed for labour day. I guess I am out of luck to finish today.

Patience is generaly rewarded so I won't rush into trying something weird to finish it now.

I still had time to make some progress, which in turn leads to questions... lol.

This is the dial glass area. It is pretty dark before stripping. I am no expert woodworking. I guess I need to add toner once stripped, to recolor it?

Those are the two sides of the top of the console:

I always have had the feeling someone tried to sand this down, how can I know for sure?
here's some indications that it might have been done - I think it was "refinished" somewhere in its 65 year history, maybe sanded and re-varnished.

As shown in this picture, there seems to be incoherent finish in that area. Also, the bevel is uneven. I barely had anything to strip out.
Should I bother about it? I am tempted to just refinish it dark and leave it as it being part of that radio's history.

Another question: tones. I think the top, dial glass area and bottom are darker than the rest, plus there is a band that is blond/pale.
1- what colorations should I look for? How to re-dye those?

2- the "blond area" seems to have been mistreated by the years; one side is a lot darker than the other. Paint stripper didn't change anything. Is there a way to clean it?

-Mars

Messages In This Thread
RE: started (at last) to refinish my 47-1230 - by Marsupial - 09-03-2012, 12:03 PM