Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Truetone D724 power xformer replacement?

Well, sounds like 2 questions to me.

If you are drawing 2 amps with no load whatsoever, I think the transformer may be toast. Best try to determine if any replacement electrolytics went in backwards (yeah they just might work for a few hours before failing.) Failure of a newly manufactured transformer under normal operating conditions to short out primary is unlikely but not unheard of. It's usually the H.V. secondary that fries. I wouldn't be at all shy about returning the part to the vendor if you think you received a defective piece. Haven't heard about any problems with Hammond Transformers that couldn't be easily resolved, and I've been doing this a long time.

Most sets with center tap filament 6.3 windings will be OK running with a transformer lacking a center tap. Winding must be grounded somehow Original one had center tap to minimize hum. You can rig say 50 or 100 ohm pot between legs and center to ground and adjust to accomplish least hum, or just ground one leg and be done with it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Truetone D724 power xformer replacement? - by codefox1 - 10-19-2012, 01:04 PM