Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Glass dial & metal backpane cleaning? (Philco 47-1230)

I got a can of dupli-color "bronze high performance wheel coating" that is intended to be sprayed on mags or something. The color is somewhat paler, but caught my eye as being the same tint and felt appropriate.

Being that I am uncertain how the plate was 65 years ago, I might be up to something Icon_lol

nevertheless, the color is pleasing. A bit paler than what was there when I got it, but good looking. I tried the color and got that:
[note that the pictures render it somewhat darker than real life - its more like ... dark champagne than pure bronze. Bronze would have been closer to the original color I think, but this looks great]

I decided to sand down whatever was left there to give that weird texture on most of the surface (uncertain if it was voluntarily textured or rusted metal) and recoat it. Its drying but looks great. That paint gives a nice finish - its made for car wheel; metal and supposedly heavy duty - and it dries fast (could touch it after 5-10 minutes. I'll still let it dry at least a day before putting the glass back)

it might not be 100% original, but it'll look great.

-Mars