Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Question About Wards Airline Radio

Hello Arran,

Yes, the dial is the crescent half moon shape. I will get a couple of photos to post soon. For a department store type radio this set has a very beautiful cabinet. Maybe not super ornate but certainly not plain either.

I think the later versions of Philco cathedrals that used 45's had also switched to a single type 47 if I recall correctly. I'm not nearly as knowledgable as you fellas here on the Phorum. The tube sockets for this Airline have the tube type number printed on them. This set has only four tube types, 80, the 56, 58 and 45.

I agree that the Philco comment by Mr. Stein is an ignorant, erroneous appraisal of them, Philcos were very well engineered and reliable. When I read that statement in his book I was taken aback, even my 42-1008 is a really nice sounding radio. He was an antique dealer? That may partially explain his 'tude about Philcos; probably prejudiced against them because they may not have fetched as much cash for him in his antique sales travels as, say a black dial Zenith. Philcos, especially earlier ones, were very practical and dependable as opposed to some that were frivolous by comparison.

www.radiomuseum.org/r/montgomery_62_101.html

Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question About Wards Airline Radio - by Arran - 01-08-2013, 01:23 AM
RE: Question About Wards Airline Radio - by Michael Dennis - 01-08-2013, 01:49 AM
RE: Question About Wards Airline Radio - by Arran - 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM