Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transformer P/N 32-7887 - am I up a creek?

They build and sold 16/116 series sets for the Canadian market most definitely, I don't know about the 690 sets, they may have imported those if they sold them here at all, or at least the chassis. I don't know where this idea of 230/240 AC mains being ever used in Canada came from because it is 100% false. 115 volt AC mains was used in some areas, usually at 25 cycles per second line frequency, most areas with 60 cycle power were the same as the U.S and the line voltage could vary between 105 to 125 volts depending on the local service and time of day.
Canada being a relatively small country it would never have made sense to use an entirely different power system from the U.S, it would have increased costs to no real advantage. In fact during the late 1950s they started ripping out the 25 cycle power grids in part because of this, I think the last 25 cycle service still offered was to some steel mills in the Hamilton area of Ontario back in the 80s. Now the line voltage is 120 volt at 60 cps pretty much everywhere, here it seems to be pretty constant give or take a volt.
If this was a Canadian market set, even if it was imported they still would have added that brass tag on one of the chassis with the model, line voltages, and the serial number, sometimes with fine print about being built under license of Canadian Radio Patents LTD. The set would also have a round decal with a crown logo someplace proclaiming that it was approved by the Hydro Electric Power Commission of Ontario, this was in the era before the Canadian Standards Association labs got rolling.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread