Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 20 Troubleshooting

WOOHOO!! Success!!

I ordered the wire from TEMCo on Sunday, arrived Thursday morning - not bad from CA to NY.

I began to unwind the old primary - which fell apart multiple times - but once I had some consistent wiring was able to verify approximately 50 windings (fell in spec with documentation). I replaced the separating film, started the winding, and after the fourth time -10, then 38, then 45, finally 50- I had a finished coil (one time too much overlapping, the second the wire reel dropped, the third my hand cramped and I dropped the coil). I tested the secondaries each time - when I unreeled the primary, and after winding the new and still saw continuity. When I soldered the primary winding I tested and found continuity. Replaced coil and tested radio and found the volume and stations worked much better, but I suspected the other coil was defective. Unsoldered, removed, tested and found the primary on this was open as well. This time the process went much quicker and the winding process was much quicker. Once installed and powered up the radio came alive!

Thanks to the advice given here! Much appreciated!

Messages In This Thread
Philco Model 20 Troubleshooting - by mgambuzza - 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM
RE: Philco Model 20 Troubleshooting - by mgambuzza - 01-17-2013, 10:53 PM
RE: Philco Model 20 Troubleshooting - by Arran - 02-06-2013, 10:51 PM