Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-280 Bandswitch cabling

I doubt that the dimensions of the springs are very critical. You could probably find something that would do the trick in your local hardware store. I made a few measurements and estimates on the ones in my radio.

The spring on the tuning dial cord that attaches to the big pulley on the tuning condenser is about 3/16 inch diameter. It is the type of spring that is normally fully compressed. Fully compressed it is about 1.3 inch or 1.4 inch long, including the loops bent at each end. Without the loops (just the coiled part) it is about 7/8 inch long. The wire itself is about .025 inch diameter. I forgot to measure how long it is extended, but you can measure on your pulley how far it has to stretch to install as the diagram shows.

The lamp assembly spring is smaller. I couldn't get really good measurements, but it is somewhere close to this: 1/8 inch diameter (it is definitely smaller than the other one, and looked to be about equal to a 1/8 inch screwdriver shaft I held next to it.) The length is about 7/8 including the bent loops. I couldn't get a measurement of just the coiled part. There is a lot of room to make it longer if need be. The wire diameter looks about the same as the other.

On my 41-255, neither spring is extended much at all. They both look almost completely compressed, so they don't need to develop much spring force at all to do their job. The spring on the tuning condenser is installed differently than the diagram shows. It is attached to the little hook on the pulley and is barely stretched at all, yet the cord doesn't slip. I would imagine that almost any spring with these general dimensions that doesn't interfere with any other pieces would work fine.

John Honeycutt

Messages In This Thread
41-280 Bandswitch cabling - by Guest - 10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
[No subject] - by rghines1 - 10-18-2007, 03:30 PM
41-280 Bandswitch cabling - by Guest - 10-18-2007, 10:13 PM
[No subject] - by Raleigh - 10-20-2007, 11:42 AM
41-280 bandswitch cabling - by Guest - 10-22-2007, 06:52 PM
[No subject] - by Raleigh - 10-22-2007, 11:37 PM