Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1948 Philco Transitone model 48-250

Maybe it was just the bad lighting on the photo that made the decal in front look darker than it should. The sticker on the bottom was what threw me. Don't know how he salvaged it. I tried removing mine, but it was far too brittle. Then I tried masking it off, but doing so would only damage it from the tape. So I finally wound up scanning the label and printing out a new one, which was reglued onto the bottom after painting. I scraped the old one off and sanded it smooth prior. Despite it not being an authentic color, I still like red better than white Icon_smile And, as Arran pointed out, it's a common set. Far from rare, so one painted not to factory specs isn't the end of the world. I was actually restoring this for a friend, who wanted one of those colorful bakelite sets as his first venture into the wonderful world of antique radios. But after I finished it, I liked it so much that I decided to keep it for myself! I restored and gave him one in the original marble finish cabinet instead.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1948 Philco Transitone model 48-250 - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM