Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Securing 38-1 chassis in its cabinet

Ron,
It IS[u] clean as is the chassis I have. Each radio has its story it seems. Here are a couple of mine.

Two radios were given to me by two friends, brothers who are in the construction business. They did some remodeling in the college president's home in the town I live in. It had been built originally by a doctor and his children gave the house to the college after their parents died. It turns out there were two Philcos built into the wall or built-in cabinets along the wall. (my friends asked me if I wanted the radios---silly question right?---otherwise they were going to the dump!!Icon_eek ) The cabinets were no where to be found. The first radio was a 16-B. It had been built into an alcove/nook in a family room wainscoated with the old thick grooved wainscoating. Slots were cut in the wainscoating for the speaker and the controls and both were hung on the backside of a door fashioned out of the wainscoating. I restored the chassis--speaker needed nothing. I found a guy with a cabinet in Oklahoma. Restored the cabinet--pictures attached. Great receiver on all bands!

About 2 years later, more remodeling, and the 2nd radio came my way---this 38-1. Dusty but no rust or corrosion. Again, no cabinet. Plays great--again on all bands. So it's been a shelf queen for the past 2-3 years. Then I finally found "jontz" with his cabinet on ARF and we made a deal for his cabinet and the cannibalized chassis in it.

My speculation is the good doctor bought these radios in the 1930s and had them installed in a manner which would not take up floorspace because they both are radios in LARGE cabinets as you know.

Aren't I lucky!!Icon_lol
Art

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Securing 38-1 chassis in its cabinet - by Art Hoch - 03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
RE: Securing 38-1 chassis in its cabinet - by classicradiorepair - 03-12-2013, 06:52 AM