Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Suggestions, please (Majestic Model 20)

I don't know if the #45s would be damaged or not from hooking them up that way, at least not for the short period of time that they were hooked up wrong. I think if you test the #45s, and they come up good, that will be the end of it, there just isn't a lot to them since they have a directly heated cathode.
Don't feel bad about it, with a Canadian Westinghouse 801 I was working on last summer I got a similar level of performance to that Majestic model 20. At first I though maybe the audio interstage was stuffed, it wasn't, nor was the output transformer, the voltages were all there. Then my uncle figured it could be an alignment problem since I had to replace one of the IF cans, it did not make a difference. Then we had a look at the tube layout diagram, when I replaced the tubes I got the lead for the IF amp tube and the second detector mixed up. You see in the Westinghouse 801 just because the grid lead is near a tube did not mean that it connected to that tube. So we swapped them around and the set nearly blew my eardrums out.
I think that every one of us has caused a self inflicted snag at one time or another, wrong lead connected to wrong tube pin, wrong tube in wrong socket, etc. I still do this from time to time which is why if I really go at a radio I check my work two or three times comparing it to the diagram, it's easy to do on something like an octal socket.
Regards
Arran
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestions, please (Majestic Model 20) - by Arran - 04-13-2013, 10:50 PM