Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2013 Season

I made a habit a long time ago of repairing any loose joints and veneer before stripping the cabinet, if you do it that way the old finish will help prevent any glue stains, and even if there are any you can remove them along with the old finish, then you don't have to do things twice. With regard to the bad veneer repair on the 37-610's front panel it looks like a fairly easy fix to me, what you will need is some 1/4 sawn French walnut veneer with a nice parallel grain. If you could remove those bad patches and make new ones that extend to the edge of the speaker grille it will help enormously, if you were really ambitious you could replace the veneer all the way from that curve over to that black inlay from the bottom up to the first grille bar, that would take care of everything but the top patch. Whoever patched it before was clueless, not only did they use straight edges on their patches but I think they used the wrong species of veneer, it looks like Philippine mahogany (luan) like they would use on a door skin.
Regards
Arran

P.S On the 42-22CL try steaming those scratches/dents with an iron and a wet rag, you may find that they will pop out somewhat unless there is wood missing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2013 Season - by Arran - 05-19-2013, 08:36 PM