Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Veneer repair and finish advice for Philco 14MX

After leaving it clamped up for about 2 days, the cup is a little better, but not great. I have thought about wetting the outside, but the only way that would work (I think) is if I could wet the wood comprising the main body of the panel...the stuff under the veneer. I'd have to peel off all the old veneer to do that. I also thought about placing a temporary brace inside, centered on the warped areas that would push out on the center of the panel, while I clamped the front and rear to create a "reversed cup" and see if the wood would re-set. I'm worried about cracking the panel though. The cup is not really THAT noticeable unless you have a straightedge, or better eyes than me. But I'd still like to get the panels as straight as possible. The seams between the side panels and the front panel have opened up from the cupping, about the thickness of a piece of old veneer, creating a noticeable gap there too.
In everyone's opinion what is best?...keep the original panels even though they are not straight in order to preserve as much originality as possible? (same for the veneer, keep as much as possible or replace?), insert permanent bracing inside to pull the panels straighter even though that would detract from originality as well?, or possibly look into getting new panels made? If I keep the original panels, what is the best way to fill the seams that have gapped without making it look like he**. How much should I really spend on this radio before I get into the realm of wasting time, money and effort?
Thanks guys, just want to make sure I don't "Bubba" up a nice piece of history any more than is necessary. This is a learning process for me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Veneer repair and finish advice for Philco 14MX - by Groundhog74 - 06-04-2013, 06:40 AM