Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Alignment of old Philco Radio

Hi David.
I seen your other post. Please be patient for someone to answer.
I'd would suggest that you look for a signal generator. Ebay and other sources have generators that are pretty reasonable. It is one of those things that you buy, and will always use.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy either. Something good enough to hold a good signal, and be fairly accurate is what you need.
I am not familiar with that military unit. It may be more than you need or could be for more specialized equipment.

You need something more simple to operate, and once you have used it to align a set, you will be glad you did.

Aligning a set can do more harm than good if you don't know what you're doing.

If you only did a recap of most of the paper caps , then an alignment may not be necessary at all. If it is, only small tweaking adjustments may be needed. Just a tiny amount is often needed to peak the signal, if at all.
The IF should be just about where it should be, unless someone has fooled with the screws already.

If for example someone replaced all the caps in the RF section (which is usually unnecessary in what we do) then a total alignment would be necessary.
Keep an eye out for a good signal generator or place an ad in the classified sections of radio forums.
Good luck.

Messages In This Thread
Alignment of old Philco Radio - by David B - 01-20-2008, 05:07 PM
[No subject] - by rghines1 - 01-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Signal generators - by AI2V - 01-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Alignment - by David B - 01-21-2008, 06:20 PM
[No subject] - by gary rabbitt - 01-22-2008, 11:37 PM