Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1948 Philco album length phonograph

I am sorry for offtopic but here's something about Chinese made electronics.
Notwithstanding that even the most expensive electronics today is often made in China, even if the final assembly is in UK/Skandinavia/US and such.

I used to work, not so long ago, 6 years or so, for a company that makes prosumer home automation, web-control, hospitality and audio-video companion equipment. Rather expensive. We were in the same line of business as Crestron if you know what I mean - they are the 600 pound gorilla of the business. They were small, but still have decent market share and are still in business.

The owner of the company, a fairly young guy, an expert in video, one day came to me and said "let me show you something". He showed me 3 or 4 $30 - 40 DVD players, and then showed me $200 Sony and another expensive one from JVC. He said "I have just compared the quality - they give Sony a run for their money, and if you think Sony is reliable - think again, I had several failures recently." "I decided" - he said - "that I will ditch expensive units and will from now on buy cheap ones, as the failure rate is the same or better, and for this kind of price I can buy them every half a year. Does not make sense to buy brands anymore. No Sony for me!". He only said it about the DVD - he still praised the brands' TVs (not all, some better than others).

But....they all use the same tehcnology. It's just one is some "Shenzhen Audio" and another one is Samsung.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1948 Philco album length phonograph - by morzh - 06-29-2013, 01:42 PM