Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Some restorations

Hi Harlan,

I'm no expert, but I like to try different methods that I've learned from people and add different steps that I think may work better.

I have never removed a water ring, but they are a common thing to see on old radios. Good old' Uncle Pete just had to rest his Highball glass on the old Philco. Icon_smile

My radio had some water or moisture damage on the side, and the lacquer finish was missing with some bare wood areas on the top and sides, but the front photo finish was perfect (WHAT!) so it didn't need a strip/refinish. I first cleaned the radio really well with some mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool, then after it dried, some warm water and Murphy's oil soap. After letting it dry a few days, I lightly sanded some areas to get the good lacquer to transition smoothly to the missing lacquer and stain. I then used a matching stain and went over the entire cabinet. This colored the areas with bare wood and all of the little chips etc.

After I was happy the way it looked, I re lacquered it with about 5 coats of clear gloss Deft lacquer (just because I can get it at Walmart).

Probably the most important step is to rub the lacquer out with very fine wet-sand paper and water to get the tiny bumps out and then course pumice, finer pumice and finally the very fine Rottenstone, the last three rubbed with a felt pad and rubbing oil. You could get these online at a Wood finishing place.

When I was done, I applied Johnson paste wax (just because I had it, I haven't tried other brands)

Lot's of steps, but I like doing this type of work. I keep a radio in the garage and whenever I have a few minutes, I do a little. There are a lot of different ways to do this type of stuff, but this one works well for me. I learned these steps from Bret's old radios videos and from tips I read or found online.

Have fun! -Pat

Messages In This Thread
Some restorations - by old_radios - 07-05-2007, 08:17 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 07-05-2007, 08:39 PM
[No subject] - by old_radios - 07-09-2007, 10:27 AM
[No subject] - by Harlan - 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
[No subject] - by old_radios - 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 02-17-2008, 11:35 PM