Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Your opinions, please...

Hello Bill!! I have found that most sellers of vintage radios will let me pull the chassis & inspect once I inform them that I know how to professionally service tube type radios & own a vintage radio collection & vintage electronics repair shop. I bet that radio you are looking at has the dreaded "crusty rubber wiring" under chassis that needs serious attention!! I always carry a small tool kit with screwdrivers, & continuity tester also to carefully remove & inspect under-chassis, spkr conditions, wiring , tube filaments, "previously hacked", missing parts,etc. All those factors of what needs attention to bringing a vintage radio back to safe/ dependable operation reflects against the sellers "asking price"!!
If all else fails, ask the seller to let you slip a small business card inside the radio so the next person that pays to high a price, has your phone # to get it working again!! Works for me!! Once the seller knows you know more about what they are selling, they get "reasonable" on prices fast!! Bet you can get that radio for $10 bucks if you let the seller know its been setting there for awhile, and you can make it work like new again!! Best of luck!! Randal Icon_smile

Messages In This Thread
Your opinions, please... - by Bill Hutchinson - 02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 02-19-2008, 11:18 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 02-20-2008, 07:04 AM
[No subject] - by Bill Hutchinson - 02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 02-23-2008, 02:24 AM