Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Would you believe it actually works?

Brenda, I did something similar awhile back. I can't recall the make of the radio, but it had a dial that originally came with very nice letters and numbers. Someone had tried to restore it, and had removed the factory printing and had tried to hand paint the dial. It looked horrible. I went to Hobby Lobby looking for stick on letters.... when I saw that Testors sells a make-your-own decals kit for car models.

I bought it, downloaded a photo of an original radio, loaded it into photoshop, created a new image with a transparent background, then cut and pasted the image of the dial onto the transparent image. Next, I printed it on the decal paper that came in the kit. It actually came out so well, it looked factory! I was really surprised, because I'd sort of lost hope. This particular dial was yellow plastic, sort of like a Philco. I think it was a GE.

I never thought of it, but it would work on glass too.. so thanks for the tip. The hardest part was getting the size correct. I think I printed it on regular paper about 50 times before I finally got it right.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Messages In This Thread
Would you believe it actually works? - by Jayce - 09-09-2013, 07:25 PM
RE: Would you believe it actually works? - by Jamie - 09-12-2013, 06:07 AM