Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cracked veneer on a rounded vertical corner

New veneer is the best answer. I have seen a lot of patch and glue jobs. They last for a while. Some may last a long time, but as temperature and humidity change the crack will reappear.

The problem might be with the structure its self. There are sets that sat out in a barn with cracked veneer. And there are sets that often have cracked veneer no matter where they lived. A Philco 37-116 is a good example. This indicates that there might have been issues with construction/materials or the support structure.

Veneer is just he top layer of plywood. Normally the grains of the plies run in opposite directions to add strength an avoid splitting. In some of these cases the layer under the veneer may also be splitting. Laying fresh veneer over a split may eventually result in a crack in the finish/veneer.

Any shortcut taken now may result in having to repair and refinish part or all of the cabinet (again) later.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Messages In This Thread
RE: cracked veneer on a rounded vertical corner - by Phlogiston - 09-17-2013, 10:08 AM