Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Next Project - worse than the last?

Thanks Brenda! I wish I had your talent for chassis work. I read some of your posts and it might as well be written in Russian. Icon_lol I keep hoping if I read enough of them, it will make sense...

Anyways, back to work here..

I've got the cabinet slathered in grain filler. I used two colors - Dark Oak and Dark Walnut. Both by Constantines. Again, the end goal is to emphasize the colors of the two different veneers on this cabinet.

Now for some opinionation...(is that a word?)
I think a radio like this was a cheap radio back in 1938. I don't think GE or Philco or any manufacturer used grain filler on cheap sets. So normally, I don't either. It's just a personal thing with me. I want them to be like they were when they were new. Keep that in mind if you use my techniques on your cabinet. I'm not going for perfection.

This radio gets different treatment for two reasons - It spent time outdoors, so the wood was in worse shape then when new.. and... this particular set has become valuable, so I want to make it look better than new. Icon_thumbup

I'll scrape off that grain filler now, and put it back in the can. Then rub down the cabinet with burlap. Then it'll need to dry all night. ..

...so, I'm gonna go work on the chassis..

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Messages In This Thread
My Next Project - worse than the last? - by Jamie - 10-15-2013, 02:12 PM
RE: My Next Project - worse than the last? - by Jamie - 10-17-2013, 12:09 PM