Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replaced the capacitors but all I get is a hum

Thank you for the replies. I do have the schematics already and I would rate my understanding of them at marginal. As far as the danger associated with tube radios, my understanding is that once energized the capacitors can be deadly due to high voltage. This is true even when the radio is unplugged and there is a proper way to discharge capacitors prior to removal. I removed the old ones since the radio had not been plugged in for years. I do understand how to measure voltage. At least on household circuits. Is it safe to plug a chassis in upside down to check voltage?

I don't understand what you mean about testing the resistors to ensure they are within tolerance. How do I do this?

One thing that I failed to mention is that the speaker can produce some static if I move the volume and tuner at the same time. I'm not sure why that is. I also replaced the power cord because the old cloth one was fraying badly. I did this by installing a new bar with new line capacitors that totally bypassed the old ones.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread
RE: Replaced the capacitors but all I get is a hum - by Andrew Fleck - 11-02-2013, 06:18 PM