Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replaced the capacitors but all I get is a hum

Brenda,
You are right. I checked connections again and for some reason my connection going from the cord to the transformer needed tweaked. All is well again with the exception of the radio still not playing.

So to sum up what I have done so far,

1. Recapped radio
2. tested resistors; replaced one that was way out of tolerance
3. definitely cleaned the bandswitch

So, I will try and best describe how the radio acts when I try and play it. The hum that I included in my title to this thread is not a loud one. I would describe it as a soft hum. Tuning the radio results in no audible difference *unless I move the volume control and the tuning at the same time. I then hear static, but it doesn't get louder or quieter. The static is just as loud at the volume low end as the high end. I can only produce this static if I move volume and tuner at the same time. Any thoughts? I want to get the tubes tested, but from what I have been reading I should still be able to hear something. Maybe if they are all faulty maybe not.

I appreciate all the help from everyone. I'm sorry I'm all over the map with this. I should have caught the bad connection. I will try and investigate more thoroughly before I run over to the computer and post every little problem. Short of getting the tubes tested I'm not sure what to do next. My gut is telling me that something with the volume is not right, but I don't know enough about radios to be certain.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread
RE: Replaced the capacitors but all I get is a hum - by Andrew Fleck - 11-07-2013, 10:47 PM