Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Well... a TV IS sort of a radio.

Sounds like you have a VT-71 or it's ilk there. Those are PITA sets, but you feel like you've really accomplished something when you get them working right.

First thing's first, you'll have to replace those seleniums, and of course the 'lytics that go with them. You'll need to replace EVERY SINGLE PAPER CAP in the set before you even begin to get anything like television on that thing. The critical ones will be the huge paper caps (6KV!) that feed the sweep signals to the plates of the CRT. They're expensive little buggers, and the only place I've found for them is justradios.com. You may not find exact values there, but those are not the critical part: those spikes will turn any other type cap into Swiss cheese in a matter of seconds.

Pray your 7JP4 is still usable. Even used ones of unknown quality are going for upwards of $100 on ebay.

As for the gasket, I have one here someplace that I bought for a set that I restored that later had a fatal failure, and has been parted out to retrieve the expensive parts I had put in it. Since the gasket is used, if only lightly, I can let it go for $30. I paid $40 for it at renovatedradios.

Don't get me wrong, I like these sets, and they are a nice way to hone your skills, tracking down H-osc, V-osc and sync problems, and properly aligning those 27 MHz IF's (you'll need a service pack to do this, but they are plentiful and cheap).

Here's a nice workup on restoring these sets:

http://antiqueradio.org/motvt73.htm

Messages In This Thread
Well... a TV IS sort of a radio. - by BrendaAnnD - 11-09-2013, 08:09 AM
RE: Well... a TV IS sort of a radio. - by Mondial - 11-09-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: Well... a TV IS sort of a radio. - by Jayce - 11-09-2013, 02:03 PM
RE: Well... a TV IS sort of a radio. - by BrendaAnnD - 11-09-2013, 02:44 PM
RE: Well... a TV IS sort of a radio. - by sam - 11-09-2013, 02:50 PM
RE: Well... a TV IS sort of a radio. - by Arran - 11-09-2013, 09:21 PM
RE: Well... a TV IS sort of a radio. - by Arran - 11-11-2013, 11:27 PM
RE: Well... a TV IS sort of a radio. - by Jayce - 11-12-2013, 12:30 PM