Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Preparing 40-201 for painting chassis

Today I fabricated two carrying handles for the chassis made of some electric fence wire. This allows me to move the chassis without touching it after painting.

I masked all the openings with either painter's masking tape or a cotton ball stuffed under the chassis against some trimmer capacitor top surfaces. The space was so tight I could not get tape in the spot without removing rivets and taking the trimmers out. I covered all the tube sockets and trimmed the masking tape with an Xaxto knife. I also covered the brass rivets that hold the tube sockets to the chassis and trimmed the excess masking tape there too.

I took the chassis to the barn and shot it with some gray metal primer. The temperature had climbed to a little over 50 degrees F., so it was OK to paint. The humidity is low now as a cold front had passed through. After about 20 minutes I brought the chassis back into the house and took pictures. Tomorrow I plan to look for the satin silver paint at Hobby Lobby or Walmart. I looked yesterday at Ace Hardware, but they did not have the right paint.

Joe

Messages In This Thread
RE: Preparing 40-201 for painting chassis - by Joeztech - 11-28-2013, 04:46 PM