Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

what kind of iron would be best 15w 20w 25w or more

Me, I use the cheapie Radio Shack 25-30 watt iron(s) with pointed tips. I have used the best high dollar Wellers in the past, both fast-heating guns, & Wellers irons bench-type variable temp solder irons.Since I use a solder iron usually daily, I have found all them "disposable" when it comes to hard work "continuous every day conditions". The gun-types are sometimes too-big , to get into close corners. Steady hands requires a iron-type for close "point to point" shiny connections where other tips dont always fit easily into chassis-work.Seems the Irons just fit easier into the chassis most of the time for me. Irons of (the disposable kind)!!,... are my choice, as they all wear out as we all know. Guess it just depends on what works best for each person individually!! Thats a $24 question from the get-go!!
For the "heavy duty" chassis connections, I use the old-vintage style electric cloth-covered wire (wood handle) auto radiator repair large tip wood-handle pencil type irons. You can still find these large irons at garage-sales,etc. After they heat up about 15 mins, you can quickly make those otherwise (low-wattage irons/guns) hard to connect metal-chassis connections complete, ....FAST!! These huge vintage type solder-irons work great for removing & remounting orig filter cap ground lugs, replacing broken tube socket gnd lugs back to chassis,etc! The conical tips on these type irons are about 1/4 in in diameter! No radio chassis connect is too-tough for these vintage type "big daddy" irons!! You may only need to pull out the "Big Iron" a few times a yr, but they get the job done on "shiny" direct-chassis connections better than any competitor iron on the market today!! I collect these big Irons anytime I find one for sale. Usually pay about $1.00 for them at garage-sales,etc,in used condition. Just plug em in, if they heat, they work!!
Another option for higher heat on low wattage-irons, is too use your bench variac, and crank the AC up to about 140 vac. to the iron. Adds that extra heat to a low wattage iron indeed!! Thats about all I can add to *soldering class101* (hee hee)!! Icon_wink

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by 49Stude63 - 04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
[No subject] - by Alan Douglas - 04-24-2008, 07:35 PM
[No subject] - by jerm - 04-25-2008, 07:58 AM
[No subject] - by 49Stude63 - 04-25-2008, 08:24 AM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 04-25-2008, 05:24 PM
[No subject] - by exray - 04-26-2008, 04:54 AM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 05-01-2008, 12:24 AM