Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-195/200/201 Rotating Antenna Label

The top and bottom edges of this paper covering (it is not cardboard after all) were very brittle and crumbling with age. I found some paper grocery sacks and have cut a piece about 6 inches square, folded it in half and applied Elmer's white glue between the halves. Then I spread the same type glue on one surface and worked it underneath the top edge of the oval cylinder. As the glue was beginning to set, I kept pressing the outside of the cover against the glue surfaced paper sack reinforcement using some wooden rulers and some popsicle sticks. I will add additional patches like this all the way around the top of this outer paper cover. When I get the top end suitably reinforced, then I will do the same to the bottom of the paper cover until there is some strength to the outer paper cover at both ends. The gaping hole about 5-6 inches down from the top on one side is the biggest problem. I will try to fish the broken copper wire leads out enough to solder some connecting strands across the gap an attach to the mating end on the other side. It is going to be a delicate procedure. I will have to find some way to reinforce the inside and outside once I get the wires repaired. I may get lucky enough to slide the whole outer cover off of the wooden form to get at the inside. That would really be best as I could do a good job of reinforcing the inside to offset the external cracks on the outside. Perhaps some coffee filter paper can be used to reinforce the outer paper skin after I can get the inner surface reinforced and strengthened.

What a mess someone made of this poor antenna assembly!Icon_evil

Joe

Messages In This Thread
RE: 40-195/200/201 Rotating Antenna Label - by Joeztech - 12-07-2013, 03:22 PM