Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco P-1002 AM/FM Receiver from 1966

Well, I dunno...I might do something with this, or I might just shelve it and set my sights on a Fisher 175 or Sherwood S-7900 or S-8900 instead (after Christmas).

I used to own an S-8900. Boy, that was a great sounding receiver. When I bought it, its output transistors were blown. I replaced them, and the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. It then worked great for several years, until the finals blew again, at which point I got rid of it. And I never played it really loud, either.

The S-8900 is FM only; the S-7900 is AM/FM but otherwise identical to the S-8900. 60 watts RMS per channel. I used to run my S-8900 through a pair of B-I-C Venturi tower speakers. I had an omnidirectional outdoor FM antenna on the side of the house where I lived back then, and could pick up FM signals up to 100+ miles away. I could easily hear several Nashville FM stations at my home (at the time) in western Kentucky. (I still have the antenna; I just need to put it back into service here.)

The speakers I have are Radio Shack speakers which were highly recommended by a fellow on the other forum. I have yet to try them out. I have a more modern Sony receiver that I have not used in a long time; it is sitting on a shelf collecting dust right now. I was thinking about selling the Sony since I never use it anymore. I find that I prefer the look of the older analog receivers.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco P-1002 AM/FM Receiver from 1966 - by Ron Ramirez - 12-12-2013, 09:01 PM