Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 12s568 a work in progress

Hi Alex.
Welcome to the Phorum! For my Zenith I used pretty standard materials. the biggest part is the prep work, using a good grain filler to get a smooth surface. For that I used Constantines Walnut filler, you can find them online. Once the cabinet is filled and sanded smooth, I masked off the cabinet for the faux finish. Someone before me had stripped the cabinet. Fortunately, I was just able to make out where the stripes of graining were originally. For the base coat I used I think it was Krylon satin paint in a beige or light tan color. this gives the contrast for the graining. I sprayed several light coats and then sanded the paint smooth with 320 grit sand paper. For the graining I used dark walnut Minwax Gel Stain. Use a gel stain as it works like ink. I do two coats of this. The first coat I apply with a foam brush and then to mimic a burl type grain I used a crumpled up plastic shopping bag. I pat and twist the bag over the wet stain to create a swirled look. It takes a little practice and experimenting to get it right, but if you don't like the look the gel stain will come off with mineral spirits and you can try again. Once you are happy with the first coat, I let it stand until the stain has dried a little, then I will take a soft brush and gently brush the stain. This will blur the finish a little and soften it's look. For the second coat I use a brush to apply the stain lightly over the first coat. I use very little stain on the brush and try to create a streaky woodgrain type look over the burled graining. I will also use a cheap brush that I chop the ends of the bristles with a scissors for an uneven look. All of this comes through experimenting and trial and error. It's an art not a science!
For the finish I like using Mohawk brand toning and clear laquers.
I hope this answers some of your questions. If not please feel free to ask more. I'm in no way an expert at this, it's just something I had fun trying! Good luck.
Kevin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by morzh - 07-29-2012, 04:48 AM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by Arran - 07-29-2012, 08:19 PM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by Arran - 07-30-2012, 12:05 AM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by Steve D - 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
RE: Zenith 12s568 a work in progress - by 37silverstreak - 01-13-2014, 09:10 PM