Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Model 89 coil rewind..did anyone save their notes?

Don't panic!

I have a bit of info. Notes are looking at the bottom of the coils, counting the lug pins clockwise. This is for the early code 123 version, using the 36 tube as oscillator.

For the oscillator coil, the tickler is the small coil on the outside, over a band of probably disintegrated plastic. Heat it with a heat gun, unwind it, and clean the plastic off. Bake it for an hour at 200˚ to get moisture out. It is 27 turns, clockwise from the bottom, of 34, 36 or 38 gauge wire. Lug 1 goes to the top of the coil, lug 2 to the bottom.

The rf coil primary was also bad on mine, it is almost exactly the same as the osc tickler in terms of procedure and appearance. Make sure you cook it! It is 13 turns of 34 awg, clockwise from the bottom, lug pin 1 is the top, 3 is the bottom.

Wind the coils right out of the oven. Use a piece of thin plastic to insulate the new and old coils. I used a strip of ziploc bag. Use hot glue to secure the ends of the wire while winding. Once it's wound, check resistance and spray it liberally with clear lacquer.

I just finished my 89, beware the oscillator circuit is ridiculously finicky (if you have the 36). Some other info can be found on my thread 'Model 89 Cathedral'. It was my second radio, and pulls in stations all the way to Canada at 680 miles away.

Good luck,
Will

Messages In This Thread
RE: Model 89 coil rewind..did anyone save their notes? - by skyscraper - 02-10-2014, 11:02 PM