Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-690 electrolytic capacitors--UPDATE

I finished recapping the power supply this morning. Haven't cleaned it or done the cosmetic filling of the holes and hiding the replacement choke in a proper black case (that's all for later on). Surprisingly I didn't have to replace any of the resistors. I hooked the power supply back up to the chassis and slowly powered up on a Variac after running a dim bulb test with the rectifier tubes out of the power supply. This set has so many tubes that my 100W lightbulb was pretty brightly lit so I don't know how valuable the dim bulb test was.

Anyway, after putting the rectifier tubes in place, I slowly powered up the set and today must be my lucky day because the set started to play on AM even with all the original paper caps (and one original electrolytic can in the chassis with a bunch of 1 and 2uF caps). It sounds amazingly good considering the chassis has not been gone through yet. I didn't play it long and kept the voltage at 105-110V input. Now that I know there is nothing major wrong with the set it is a real
impetus to do a careful recapping and check out of the chassis.

In case you haven't guessed I'm about 3 feet off the ground with an ear to ear grin today...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 38-690 electrolytic capacitors--UPDATE - by retiredinprescott - 02-23-2014, 02:41 PM