Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacing a Field Coil with a PM Speaker - Please Help

BDI1976, is the audio output transformer part of your original Philco speaker assembly? If it is, then the schematic makes more sense to me. On some older Philcos, the output transformer, the field coil, and the voice coil are all part of the speaker assembly. Later Philcos have the output transformer inside or on top of the chassis.

Before you decide exactly how to make the connections to install your modern PM speaker, you have to know if the output connector is attached to the chassis or if it is attached to the speaker assembly.

I think the little "V" shaped notations on the schematic represent connectors. If I'm interpreting this right, then there is a long bundle of 3 wires connecting the chassis with the speaker. The colors of those 3 wires are not specified on the schematic. The colored wires specified in the schematic are part of the speaker assembly, not the wires from the chassis.

The connector lines up so that the green wire on the speaker assembly connects to the plate of the 42 tube, the green/white wire of the speaker assembly connects to the + of the 8uF cap, and the white wire of the speaker assembly connects to the + side of the 4uF capacitor. All other connections are internal to the speaker assembly.

Now, if the output transformer is mounted on the speaker assembly, then you have to mount it or a replacement somewhere else.

Let me know if the transformer is mounted on the speaker (or post a picture), and then we can go from there. I think I can be very specific about which wires go where once I know that.

John Honeycutt

Messages In This Thread
RE: Replacing a Field Coil with a PM Speaker - Please Help - by Raleigh - 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM