Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How do I Prevent "Orange Peel" with Lacquer?

Silicon is the major or maybe the only cause of fish eye. Moisture is it's own devil, but that one is ease to avoid.

As said fish eye killer / reducer is a standard adder whenever I sprayed a finish coat with a cup gun. Cheap insurance.

As was also noted steel wool is oiled to prevent rust and if you are finish wiping with a treated cloth you may also be introducing silicon.

Tack rags / cloth from your friendly automotive finish supplier are the best for removing the dust before shooting. A clean slightly damp cloth will also work. If water give it awhile to dry. Lacquer thinner on the cloth is safe.

The old silicon polish used over years on old cabinets can be a major pain to seal in. It can wick deep into the wood fiber, you wipe with lacquer thinner and take the surface contamination off and up wicks more.

Pay attention to Phlogiston's comment on PLENTY of cure time.

I agree with Pushpow that is a good picture and it looks more like orange peal. Since you can't easily thin a rattle can try shooting in a cooler place to allow more flow out time.

I seem to be liking semi gloss finishes a lot more. Less problems going on and they don't show every particle of dust.

I wonder what a bit of pearl -maybe white - would look like. Not at all correct, but might be eye candy.

Messages In This Thread