Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello from a rookie

Welcome, and as others have said. DON'T PLUG IT IN! All electrolytic caps and bypass caps should be replaced before any power up. How much experience do you have with electronics and tube equipment? The reason I ask is this can be a little more challenging as a beginner set. First, this set uses an RF deck sub-chassis. There are caps inside that are near impossible to get to. I disassemble mine, but again, it's not for the beginner. Great care must be taken with the coils inside. They're easily damaged. Also, Philco uses bakelite capacitor blocks. While this set employs I believe 4, maybe 5? Philco collectors generally re-stuff them by removing the tar, then the caps inside. Some don't, and simply clip the connections at the block. Then tack on new caps to the outside lugs. Doing that, is generally frowned upon. Especially by die-hard Philco nuts like myself Icon_wink

Please, take no offense. I'm just trying to be realistic, not trying to scare you. We all started somewhere. If you have electrical and some experience with these, then you could probably be walked through the process right here. If you've never delved into a radio, maybe it would be better to start on an easier set. As an example, many of the smaller Zeniths are very easy beginner sets to restore electrically. You could shelve this set for a later date as your experience increases. Then the bug really sets in.

BTW, while this is a common set, they're nice performers with their TRF section.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Messages In This Thread
Hello from a rookie - by Guest - 08-10-2008, 05:58 PM
[No subject] - by Uffda - 08-10-2008, 06:41 PM
[No subject] - by Michael Dennis - 08-10-2008, 08:10 PM
[No subject] - by BDM - 08-10-2008, 09:58 PM