Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

U.S.Radio & Television Corp- Model 80

Hello Dave! Welcome! I have restored several Majestics before. Your set (Majestic mod 80) is known as a early "trf" set. I did some research in my JF Riders, and found that your set has the same tube "lineup", as the Majestic models 70 & 71B in the Grigsby-Grunow pages of JF Riders early schematics. You can also use Nostalgiaair dot org to find this schematic if you dont have it. Capacitor info for these early sets can also be found in your JF Riders pages covering "Majestic" radios in the "Grigsby Grunow" pages. They also made the Majestic Chassis for US Radio & Television. Riders vol 1 is "vague", but you can also use the Grigsby-Grunow pages to supplement your capacitors-ratings info!

Your Majestic mod 80 set uses (5) # 26 tubes in various stages of RF & 1st AF, (1) # 27 detector tube, (2) #71 push-pull output audio, & (1) # 80 rectifier tube, same as the Majestic models 70 & 70B.

Using the capacitors data from the "Grigsby-Grunow Company" JF Riders pages, instead of the JF Riders US Radio & Television pages, should most definately get you in the ballpark for caps ratings! These early TRF sets were "very- forgiving" for recaps!

As a general rule, the electrolytic filter caps in these early TRF type sets had a high voltage rating,but low UF ratings in most cases! I would say 10 ufs@ 500 volts would be more than plenty for replacements in the Majestic power-supply units.

If you have anymore questions or need further help, Im located only 3.5 hrs from you in San Angelo. I can get your radio working again, and/or, show you how & what parts are needed. Sometimes, the "chokes" and/or the filament trans 2.5 v are "open" (bad) in these type early trfs sets also. Easy fix tho if needed! Icon_wink

Messages In This Thread
U.S.Radio & Television Corp- Model 80 - by Dave D - 09-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Re: U.S.Radio & Television Corp- Model 80 - by Texasrocker - 09-10-2008, 02:06 AM