Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral-SUCCESS

Yeah, for a while I was sure that was the issue, but I bought a Mallory replacement from Gary at Playthings, and have the same issues. It (and the old Philco one) both show resistance across the rotation. I've taken the Philco one apart and cleaned it out pretty good. There was some carbon or other dirt on the strip, but it's nice and shiny, now. Thing is, it doesn't show 350K of resistance. It is more like 300K. The Mallory is 500K, but I checked and it is the one Mallory says is replacement for the Philco part. The exact resistance is not crucial, then?
I'm still wondering about the grounding for just about everything except the filter circuit. Especially the capacitors and resistors that are tied together on their grounded sides on the daughterboard. If someone has pictures of an old restoration, I'd appreciate it if they looked to see where those components are physically grounded so I can put my mind at rest on that score.
Also, it bothers me that my filament voltages are so low. I get a good number at the 80, then its 2.3 volts for all the heaters on all the other tubes. Generally, I wonder about the combined resistances of the old wiring and soldering.
Almost related to that, I noticed yesterday when I pulled the tubes, that pin #5 (K,G3) on the output tube (42) is lose and wiggles freely. A shorted socket actually arcs, right?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral - by ccomer1955 - 08-12-2014, 08:47 PM