Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral-SUCCESS

5v at the filament without the tube. Depending on the 80 I use, 3.4-4.5 with the tube. Lower past the 6A7. I unsoldered and cleaned the 6A7 lugs, then made good physical contact and resoldered. Voltage came up to 4.5v. Still, have other issues preventing oscillation, but progress, I suppose. I'm going to look at my filter circuit again. If I did damage to the pair of caps in C50, it would be a "works or doesn't work" situation, right?
What I have in the set right now, is as follows (the filter circuit was largely disconnected when I got the set, so I had to reconstruct it from the schematic, so I restuffed the filter can and color-coded one of the 8uf caps green and the other yellow): the yellow cap is connected to the filament of the 80, to the choke, and to the green/white lead to the field coil. The green cap is connected to the lug of R28 which it shares with a lead that I ran from C22 (because that lug on C22 has a lead that traces directly back to the output tube's grid lug which it shares with the white wire coming from the output transformer). Both filter caps share a common ground lead to C51 where the CT is connected from its lug on R44. C49 is also destuffed and has a white lead connected to the lug for R47 which it shares with R15.
I used 10uf 500v caps for both C50 caps and for C49 because they are what I had on hand, and I have C49 connected to the black lead on the choke and the yellow C50 to the white lead (but the choke connection isn't crucial, right?). If that is correct, then one question I have is do I have the yellow C50 connected to lead #6 or lead#7 from the transformer?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral - by ccomer1955 - 08-14-2014, 12:17 PM