Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral-SUCCESS

Point taken from both of you. I've had the fates conspire to keep me out of the workroom for a couple of days, but I got in for 30 minutes today. Before I take off the training wheels and get rid of the apparatus, I wanted to double check my reading of the schematic. I went tube-by-tube looking from radio to schematic-to tube manual looking for errors in wiring because the thing that kept me using the dim bulb was a glow coming from the bulb about 60 seconds after startup. I am still concerned that my grounding is done correctly, but I did find a rather embarrassing mistake at C40. I had transposed the connections for the 75 grid cap and C42 & R43. I had them backwards. I fixed it, and I desoldered a few sketchy solders I had done, started it up and had a momentary squeal, then nothing. I turned the volume switch and get a bit of static as it moves, but nothing from the tuning cap turning. Touching the soldering iron to the caps of the 75 and the 6A7 give a respectable buzz, on the 78, a softer one. Touching the volume switch gets a loud buzz, too. I don't have time for voltages today (without the 40 watt bulb stealing voltage), but I should have a new set of numbers by tomorrow. Am I right in thinking that my output stage issues might be almost over here and I can start working on getting the 6A7 to oscillate? Voltages first, though. Thanks for the help. And the patience.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral - by ccomer1955 - 08-17-2014, 03:01 PM