Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral-SUCCESS

Encouraging 15 minutes with the radio today. I first tried to find the IF on the 42-340 and found it (tone across the whole band?) around 420KC according to the markings on the Eico 320, so it is way off. I confused myself trying to locate frequencies using my Klein MM200 which shows the frequency markings on the Eico to be MUCH closer to the mark. The Philco 42-340 tunes across the band and pulls in all the local stations, so it can't be that far off even though the dial is off by about 40KC (680 comes in at 720). So quit using the Klein, right?
I ran both radios for a bit trying to see if the Philco 66 would oscillate, and the 66 screamed at me when I was at the extreme high end of the scale (around 1600-1700-barely engaged rotors). So, at that point, I was sending something like a signal through most of the radio to the speaker, right? I can't work on it much more today, but I have two other radios I can use to test the Eico before I commit to using it to align: a Zenith 8S436 that works reliably and a Radiola 18TRF, so not much use, but I love to listen to it). I haven't tried to zero in on 680, like I said, but since I know that one, maybe that is the way to go for a start.
I COULD also simply use the 42-340's IF as a starting point, and wobble around until I find 460KC on the 66? It should be near the 455KC for the 42-340, right? Start at the grid cap of the 6A7 with a low gain modulated signal, set the Eico a bit below the mark for the 42-340, and try to get tone by gently adjusting the primary trimmer for the 1st IF, then move to the others?
At any rate, I'm excited. That felt like progress.

Charlie in San Antonio

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dragging out an old nemisis-Philco 66 cathedral - by ccomer1955 - 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM