Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 80 jr. help please. 1st time restoring a radio this old

thank you Ron for your input.

i do have to say though that im more confused now than i was before about how the "gimmick" is wired in.

in the write-up on the "philco repair bench" site, you say to solder one end of an insulated wire to the cathode lead of the detector/oscillator tube.
then, this wire gets coiled tightly around the wire coming off of the center "wiper" lead of the volume control pot.

to me, this meant that one end of the wire is left unconnected to anything.

in your response to me in the forum, you state that you need two wires, one soldered to the cathode of the det/osc tube, and one soldered to the center lead of the volume pot. then, the free ends of these two wires are twisted together (insulation on of course).
your response did not mention wrapping either of the wires around the "wiper" wire.

so, while i understand the concept of trying to gain a little bit of capacitance between the two leads, it sounds like there are two different ways of doing it.

i do apologize if it sounds like im over-complicating a simple idea, but i do want to get it right the first time.

thanks in advance for any further explanation you can offer.

thanks also for the 13K resistor tip.

ill be doing a fair bit of this work tomorrow and the next day, so ill be able to post my progress after that.
boy i sure hope i dont have to rewind any coils!
LC

Messages In This Thread
RE: philco 80 jr. help please. 1st time restoring a radio this old - by loosecannon - 08-25-2014, 07:09 PM