Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 80 jr. help please. 1st time restoring a radio this old

hi all,

well i finished the component replacement yesterday as i received the correct volume pot from Gary at play things of the past. (thank goodness for him, as i dont think there was another one available anywhere!)

i connected the speaker, turned the unit on, and------ all i get is a loud hum from the speaker. Icon_sad

tuning control makes no difference, and neither does the volume control.

just to give you guys all the info, here is what has been replaced:

all components except for the variable tuning capacitor, and the tuning condenser caps on the back have been replaced. (i have checked the wiring and it is correct as per the "philco 80" schematic)

all tubes were replaced with tubes i bought on ebay. (im pretty savvy with ebay and made sure that the people i bought them from were reputable and stated that the tubes tested in good/ excellent condition)

i measured the resistance of all the coils while all the parts were removed and they all seemed to be within specs, but i have been soldering on them quite a bit while installing the components, so i guess one could have opened up from too much heat.

can i measure the coil resistances with all the components in the radio?

is there a list of correct voltages for the tube sockets?

any other ideas?

i did not test the volume pot i received, and i will do this right away just to eliminate it.

thanks for any advice, the expertise on this site is invaluable to a guy in my shoes!

LC

Messages In This Thread
RE: philco 80 jr. help please. 1st time restoring a radio this old - by loosecannon - 09-05-2014, 02:07 PM