Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Was working, now trying to burn up!

Oh, don't get me wrong. It WAS working fine until today when I tried checking voltage on a pair of wires. That was probably just a weird coincidence, however. I had nothing crossed and I didn't tamper with anything except connecting an un-powered (no battery needed) analog multimeter to a pair of wires that may have been badly wired up by someone who had it before. That shouldn't have caused a mess of trouble since the multimeter didn't get fried, and it was on the setting for AC voltage metering.

And trust me, I'm not trying to burn it up. Icon_lol It hasn't even been plugged in since the second test with the 41's removed and the 7Y4 in, when I found it was overheating on that second check. I'm gonna try to get the suspect tubes (7Y4, both 41's) checked out and replaced if needed before it gets plugged in again.

Frankly, I think the 7Y4 rectifier tube just decided to bite the dust at the same time as I was checking those wires for voltage. After all, it may be a 73 year old tube! The 7Y4 one is Philco branded. One of the 41's is a Westinghouse and the other is Sylvania. The only other Philco tube still in it besides the 7Y4 is the 7C6.

Although, I know less than nothing about vacuum tubes right now. Icon_wtf

Messages In This Thread
Was working, now trying to burn up! - by BenWA - 09-12-2014, 07:43 PM
RE: Was working, now trying to burn up! - by BenWA - 09-12-2014, 10:59 PM
RE: Was working, now trying to burn up! - by sam - 09-13-2014, 08:04 AM
RE: Was working, now trying to burn up! - by sam - 09-13-2014, 06:25 PM
RE: Was working, now trying to burn up! - by sam - 09-13-2014, 09:55 PM
RE: Was working, now trying to burn up! - by sam - 09-13-2014, 10:27 PM