Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

For a novel...A suggestion of a Canadian Philco Console from the 30s-40s?

Well, any nice old console could be fitted with an FM tuner that could be kept out of sight, and would play nicely. And you could blend the stereo outputs into mono, or operate whatever in mono mode. Even a modest little FM radio could be made to do this job, and provided the proper remote antenna was arranged, it would play just fine in the basement. And if you're talking about converting an old set that tuned the original FM band vs current one, yeah it's been done, although I've not tried it myself.
Also quite a few have gone to little home based modulators that can tke whatever (AM/FM/Tape/CD/Computer) audio input and create your own home (very limited range) AM radio station.

So far as which vintage model you might like, well this forum as well as others have lots of pictures, descriptions, and other information available. Well, anyway, you can narrow your search to the appropriate vintage if you care to be quite particular.

You can also get a rough idea of what they might set you back on the net or places like Ebay or Craig's list. In a lot of cases, the cost of packaging and transporting larger sets can easily double or triple the intrinsic value, and proper restoration inside and out is also an issue, but if you find a gem and a willing seller, I'd say best bet might be a piano mover, and clarify delivery instructions, like inside delivery, which floor, etc... Restoration is another matter, mostly senior local hobbiests with a little spare time for the "guts" and furniture restorers for the outside.

Also, if you are able or have a willing recruit, scout around the thrift shops, yard sales, and yeah, trash night in your area -- you never know! Happy hunting and best of luck with your book!