Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

For a novel...A suggestion of a Canadian Philco Console from the 30s-40s?

Hello Rose.

I am located near Montréal, Québec.
And I am the proud owner of a restaured Philco 47-1230 - that used to be top-of-the-line back in 1947.

Canada had canadian model philco, but also US ones. Sometimes the canadian models were almost identical to american ones too. But, Philco of Canada was made mainly to help with canadian supply, not be the only supplier of Philco Radio.

That being said, the radio I have is a US model 47-1230 but was sold in canadian soil somewhere in Montreal in the late 40s.
I specify that model mainly because it had a great sound, with its amp design being still very similar to what you see on modern tube amps (such as modern hybrid guitar amps) and also because it has the "modern" FM

- I listend to hockey and music on my "stock" (restaured) philco, with no modifications.
The 47-1230 had AM, FM, Shortware and a 78rpm record changer.
If you want to have a radio that is majestic, top of the line, have good audiophonics and be suitable for a listening room, it could be a good model for that.

here's a picture of my radio pre-restauration
[Image: http://www.radiomuseum.org/images/radio/...019191.jpg]

There are other canadian-based radio company such as Addison, Marconi or RCA/Victor but most radios were smaller sized and lesser tube count; for a "listening room" quality radio, I'd think you prefer higher-end?

-Mars