Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New guy with a PT-6

Well, what could I say.....most of the Transitones have very similar if not the same chassis.

Rubber wiring....in my case it was OK until touched. I replaced those wires that I had to mess with, the rest was OK and replacing inside the IF can would be too involved for my taste. However if yours in bad shape, you might have no choice but to replace the wires.

All caps that do not look tubular but are not micas, like that one 0.001uF 1600V are not good either and must be at least checked; mine was way out of tolerance so I suspect it is a dipped paper cap of some sort. I would replace all caps other than one or two micas that are there.

The tubes from the paper caps will clean nice and easy so keep them if you want to restuff them to make it look a bit more authentic, though you will still use today's resistors, but them being dull grey/bone, they do not look as bad as bright yellow and orange caps.

Check your Candohm right away to know if you have a problem there; mine was OK.

When done and aligning, if using the internal loop antenna, one outer end of the antenna transformer should be Grounded, at least it was so on mine. See if the sch says something to that effect; mine did. It will work anyway, but it works better when the directions are followed.
When aligning you could just connect the Gen's ends together and place them nearby, it will make for coupling.
Also in my case the output stage and the rectifier were not what was shown in the sch, as I found out, and it did not look like it was changed by someone, so I think there might be several versions of the same chassis sometimes. And it was not mere parts substitution because the rectifier did have different pinout and it was followed, otherwise the radio would not work.
So check your chassis against the sch first or you might do some changes assuming that the sch on hand is correct whereas it might be not.

Messages In This Thread
New guy with a PT-6 - by cewrightiii - 10-16-2014, 08:40 AM
RE: New guy with a PT-6 - by klondike98 - 10-16-2014, 10:42 AM
RE: New guy with a PT-6 - by cewrightiii - 10-16-2014, 11:41 AM
RE: New guy with a PT-6 - by cewrightiii - 10-16-2014, 12:12 PM
RE: New guy with a PT-6 - by morzh - 10-16-2014, 02:51 PM
RE: New guy with a PT-6 - by cewrightiii - 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM
RE: New guy with a PT-6 - by cewrightiii - 10-20-2014, 11:40 AM
RE: New guy with a PT-6 - by morzh - 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM
RE: New guy with a PT-6 - by cewrightiii - 10-21-2014, 11:20 AM
RE: New guy with a PT-6 - by Ron Ramirez - 10-21-2014, 11:33 AM
RE: New guy with a PT-6 - by Eliot Ness - 10-21-2014, 12:11 PM