Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radio newbie Philco 111 lowboy barn find

Well Wildbill it sounds like an exciting find and you absolutly have a thrill ahead of you. As for advice I offer this. I have been repairing electronics since the age of 13, some 40 somthing years ago. I learned on the tube tv's and radios and kept on going to today with all the challanges new devices offer. Here is the advice part. Take a tour through the Phorums various postings. What you will find is an absolute wealth of knoledge and practical tips. Hindsight also offers history of problem parts and circuit issues that our fore-fixers had to learn the hard way. I personaly have a new respect for the folks that serviced this new technology in the 20's and up. The Phorum has been my overall best resource and the links associated with it.

In testing I whould check for shorted caps and anything on the B+ line. The last thing you want is a short on the B+ to cause the power transformer to go open. In my mind that would be the kiss of death with a radio with so many other unknowns. As for the speaker, I would unplug and test basic continuity of the feild coil, voice coil and audio transformer. The caps will all be replaced, most will be bad and the rest are on borrowed time. Same for the resistors. Most that I check are more than twice the marked value, change em all. If you have a schematic, before making a parts order check the contiuity of IF coils and such. Dont adjust anything, it was likley working before it went into "long term storage" with or without a componet fail to help it along. When component replacement is finished and the tubes are good it may well play to some extent and alignment at that time will be so much easier.

There are good folks on this site ready to help if they can and share in the excitment, Good Luck.

Dave Casazza
Keep em glowin and goin...

Messages In This Thread
Radio newbie Philco 111 lowboy barn find - by Guest - 11-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Re: Radio newbie Philco 111 lowboy barn find - by DCASAZZA - 11-14-2008, 12:10 AM
Re: Radio newbie Philco 111 lowboy barn find - by Guest - 11-14-2008, 11:09 AM