Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Next project - Philco Tropic 41-758EZ

(12-20-2014, 11:25 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Thanks, Bob.

Forgot to mention: When I started on this set, the tone control was very stiff, and the volume control was stuck - would not turn. I shot both with liberal amounts of DeoxIT, and now both controls work as they should - very smooth, apparently no electrical problems, either. I also sprayed a little WD-40 on the shaft of the volume control where the shaft goes into the bushing, as there was a fair amount of corrosion at that point.

Ron;
  I've had some controls that were so stiff that the only way to get them loose again was to remove the retainer ring from just ahead of the bush, and press the shaft and wiper assembly out, clean the bush with mineral spirits followed by a light wipe of grease on the shaft, and then re-assembly in reverse order.
With regard to the dial lamps, those LEDs seem to work fairly well for edge lighting the dial, though a typical G.E 47 or 44 style lamp with the filament in the proper orientation will also work well if carefully selected, believe it or not the focus of the light beam matters with incandescent bulbs too.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next project - Philco Tropic 41-758EZ - by Arran - 12-21-2014, 12:34 PM