Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is an extremely quiet hum acceptable?

I did a search before posting this new topic, but the results just gave me more questions...

I'm loving my first Philco, a 46-200, and have been listening to it a lot since it arrived. Now that I've been listening to it a while, I've noticed that it makes an extremely quiet hum that seems to be coming through the speaker. It is so quiet that I can only hear it when the volume is turned all the way down and I am close enough to touch the radio. The noise doesn't bother me, but I don't want to let it cause problems for the radio.

FYI... The large filter cap has been replaced, and a couple of the paper caps have been replaced (with an orange drop cap). (The seller claimed he tested or replaced the paper caps, so I figure he meant the other paper caps tested okay.)

Do I need to be immediately concerned with the buzz, or is this normal for a low-end Philco? I probably would've never noticed it, except I have been fooling around with the radio so much. The buzz is quieter than the amplifier hiss in many of my old Panasonic transistor radios.

Messages In This Thread
Is an extremely quiet hum acceptable? - by scooby214 - 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM